Last week, Capital One announced that earlier this year, a hacker gained access to more than 100 million of their customers’ accounts and credit card applications.
A data breach can be a very serious and scary situation, so we want you to be at ease by knowing that our credit union is here for you and that we offer identity theft protection to all Value Checking and Dividend Checking account members. Our identity theft protection can safeguard you and your family from the potential fallouts of Capital One’s breach and any other ID theft or fraud event.
Ways You Can Protect Your Information
- Monitor your credit report. Each of the three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) provides consumers with a free credit report each year, which will not impact your credit score. You can get your free credit reports at annualcreditreport.com.
- Enroll in a credit monitoring service. AHFCU checking account members can elect to activate our free credit monitoring service so you will receive alerts of changes to your credit file that could signal identity theft.
- Freeze all three of your credit reports. This prevents someone who has your social security number from getting a loan or credit card. Just remember, if you freeze your account, you’ll need to remember to release the freeze when you want to apply for credit. Contact each of the credit bureaus for more information –Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
About AHFCU’s ID Theft Protection
When you have a Value or Dividend Checking account with AHFCU, you have protection against all types of ID theft, and the tools you need to recover should your information be compromised. If your identity is compromised, our Fully Managed Recovery can help get you back where you were before. With AHFCU’s checking accounts, you can be sure that you are fully protected with these offered services:
- Fully Managed Identity Theft Research, Remediation and Recovery – this service extends to cover you and up to three generations of family!
- Lost Document Replacement
- Entitlement to Credit Monitoring
- Identity Theft Expense Reimbursement Insurance- up to $25,000
Click here to learn more about AHFCU’s Identity Theft Protection.