Fall is a favorite season of many – especially for those who live in Southern California. Along with a bit of cooler weather and fewer tourists, there are many great activities, events, and day trip options, which gives none of us an excuse for being bored. Below, are some ideas to add to your Fall ’19 bucket list.
Go Apple Picking
From September to November, Oak Glen (approximately 90 miles from Long Beach) offers plenty of orchards and u-pick farms, fresh cider, hayrides, petting zoo, quaint villages with shops, bakeries and restaurants, and even dinners shows at Riley’s Farm. If you haven’t been there, we recommend a trip up to check it out! Weekends can get very busy, so if you’re able, we recommend a weekday visit.
Visit a Pumpkin Patch
There are many great pumpkin patch options. Some of them even include corn mazes, hayrides, and more! Here are a few of our favorites:
• Irvine Park Railroad Pumpkin Patch (Sep 14th – Oct 31st in Irvine, CA): Train rides, gold panning, carnival games, and much more!
• Santa Anita Park’s Pumpkin Patch & Fall Fest (Oct 19/20 and Oct 26/27 in Arcadia, CA): Pumpkin painting, hay maze, and a full card of LIVE Thoroughbred racing.
• Pa’s Pumpkin Patch (Sep 30th – Oct 31st in Long Beach, CA): Pony rides, petting zoo, games, and rides.
You don’t have to travel to Germany to enjoy Oktoberfest.
• Old World German Village (Sep 8th – Nov 3rd in Huntington Beach, CA): One of the oldest running Oktoberfest events in California is held in a real Bavarian village in Huntington Beach. Wednesday & Thursday are free admission family nights.
• Big Bear Lake Oktoberfest (weekends from Sep 7th – Nov 2nd in Big Bear Lake, CA): German entertainment; feast on Brats and Knockwursts and enjoy the very same beers poured at Munich’s Oktoberfest for more than 150 years.
Haunted Theme Parks
Many of Southern California’s theme parks convert themselves to haunted attractions at night.
• Knott’s Scary Farm (Sep 19th – Nov 2nd at Knott’s Berry Farm)
• Halloween Horror Nights (Sep 13th – Nov 3rd at Universal Studios)
• Hallowfest (Sep 18th – Nov 1st at Magic Mountain)